opportunities for medical doctors (mds) and doctors of osteopathy (dos) are diverse. besides the variety of areas in which a physician may specialize, there are also numerous job possibilities. most physicians provide direct patient care in private practices, clinics, or hospitals.
however, physicians may also work at universities, either teaching or doing research. in industrial settings, they may conduct medical research and help with the invention and testing of medical products. employment opportunities also exist in government organizations (e.g., the centers for disease control or as public health officers).
Why Study Pre-Med at Goshen College?
if you are interested in medicine, goshen college can provide a strong background for entry into medical school and related professions. as one of the best undergraduate schools for pre-med, goshen college offers many unique opportunities for medical experience prior to entering medical school. goshen college students find many opportunities for academic studies and research; pre-medical students can also gain experience in programs linking gc with local health-care providers.
In the past five years, 92% of GC students葡京平台游戏app who have applied to medical school in Indiana and beyond have been accepted.
葡京平台游戏apprenovated in 1992, the science building and schrock annex provides modern laboratory and research facilities. its comfortable and safe research labs are well-ventilated and well-equipped for basic research in the genetic, cellular, molecular, vertebrate, aquatic and marine areas.
Opportunities to Work Closely with Faculty
students can interact personally with the science faculty in classes, labs and research activities.
- The student-faculty ratio is 10:1, giving students the opportunity to work one-on-one with their professors.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in various undergraduate research projects directed by faculty members.
- Many students work with professors as lab assistants.
- Pre-medical students are encouraged to participate in Goshen College’s active Pre-medical Club. The club is led by a student
cabinet and faculty sponsors and provides support and information to students interested in medicine.
Opportunities to Gain Experience
葡京平台游戏appstudents will find many opportunities to gain valuable experience (paid or volunteer) in and around gc.
- Most Goshen College students spend a semester abroad in GC’s unique Study-Service Term (SST). Most pre-medical students spend their six-week period of service working in a health-related assignment, such as a hospital or clinic.
- Students are encouraged to shadow a physician or volunteer in the emergency room at Goshen General Hospital (across the street from GC). Students may also seek employment at Greencroft, a large nursing home/ assisted living center (within walking distance of GC) or Oaklawn, a psychiatric hospital (a 10-minute drive from GC).
Applying to Medical School
葡京平台游戏appif you’re interested in applying to medical school in indiana or another state, your recommended courses should be completed by april of the junior year before taking the mcat. literature and writing and expository writing (written communication) should be completed before taking the mcat. the new version of the mcat includes two 30-minute periods, during which you are to write two essays explaining two different famous quotes.
- Take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) in April of the junior year or the following August.
- Have AMCAS applications in to medical schools before August of the senior year.
- Interview at medical schools during fall semester of the senior year, for entry the following year.
Suggested Pre-Med Plan of Study
the following courses meet prerequisites for almost all medical schools.
- Biology Core classes – Ecology & Evolution, Organismal Biology, Cell Biology & Genetics
- Advanced Cell Biology & Advanced Genetics
- Calculus I and II
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- General Physics
- Developmental Vertebrate Biology (D. Vert.) and/or Vertebrate Physiology (Vert. Phys.)
plan carefully to complete your required courses on time. this suggested schedule ensures that the students will complete all the required courses before taking the mcat.
|General Chemistry I||General Chemistry II||CORE: Engaging the Bible|
|Ecology & Evolution (NW Perspective)||Organismal Biology|
|CORE: Identity, Culture, & Community & Learning Comm.||Cell Biology & Genetics|
|CORE: Academic Voice||CORE: Seminar & Learning Comm|
|Organic Chemistry I||Organic Chemistry II||Study-Service Term**|
|Calculus I||Adv. Mol. Genetics or Adv. Cell Bio.|
|D. Vert or Vert. Phys.||CORE: Perspective|
|Foreign Language 101||Foreign Language 102|
|Physics I||Physics II||CORE: Perspective|
|Biochemistry||Principles of Sociology||MCAT|
|Junior Research SeminarGeneral PsychologyCORE: Global Issues Seminar||CORE: PerspectiveAbnormal PsychologyHealthcare Ethics|
* Take the math placement exam prior to beginning classes.
**Because of the need to finish required courses before taking the MCAT, it is usually advisable to take SST during the summer after the student’s sophomore year.
goshen college offers many other beneficial courses for students entering the medical field. among other recommended courses are:
- Abnormal Psychology
- Analytical Chemistry
- Molecular Cell Biology
- General Zoology
- Health Care Ethics
- Human Nutrition
- Microbial Biology